ITIL® is a public framework that gives guidance to IT providers on how to align their services with business needs.
This is an intermediate level certification for IT managers that offers attendees hands-on implementation experience with the service operation phase of the ITIL® service lifecycle.
What is this course?
This is a 4-day, instructor-led, advanced course that goes beyond the basic ITIL® theory and offers hands-on implementation experience. This is achieved by working on group exercises related to a case study. Exam preparation is also scenario-based which tests analytical skills.
The topics covered include:
- Event Management
- Request Fulfillment
- Incident Management
- Problem Management
- Access Management
- Service Desk
- Technical Management
- Application Management
- IT Operations Management
ITIL® OSA is a free-standing qualification but also part of the ITIL® Intermediate Capability stream. Completion of each module earns 4 credits toward the ITIL® Expert certificate.
The purpose of each training is to impart, test and validate knowledge of best practices as documented in the ITIL® publications.
Why take it?
Attendees can expect to gain competencies in the following areas:
- Overview of relevant processes, functions and basic principles.
- The value to the business of relevant activities.
- Roles and responsibilities.
- Technology and implementation considerations.
- Challenges, critical success factors (CSFs) and risks.
Who should attend?
The target group for any ITIL® Intermediate Capability course includes (but is not limited to):
- IT professionals.
- Process owners and managers.
It is also relevent to those who:
- Require a deep understanding of the relevant processes and how they may be used to enhance the quality of IT service support within a team.
- Have obtained the ITIL® Foundation certificate and wish to advance to higher-level certifications.
- Seek the ITIL® Expert certificate for which ITIL® Intermediate Level qualifications are a prerequisite.
- Seek progress toward the ITIL® Master certificate for which the ITIL® Expert Level qualification is a prerequisite.
Are there any prerequisites?
Attendees wishing to be trained and examined for this qualification must already hold the ITIL® Foundation certificate which must be presented as evidence to gain admission.
Attendees who hold the following ITIL® qualifications are also eligible:
- ITIL® V2 Foundation plus Foundation Bridge.
- ITIL® Expert certificate (achieved via Service Manager or Practitioner bridging routes).
It is recommended that attendees:
- Demonstrate familiarity with IT terminology and understand the context of each ITIL® Intermediate Capability module within their environment.
- Have experience working in a service management capacity.
What courseware is provided?
Each student is provided with hard copies of SMME’s student manual consisting of presentation slides, corresponding notes and 16 sample exam questions.
What does it take to get certified?
To obtain each ITIL® Intermediate Capability certificate, attendees must pass an 8-question, 90-minute, scenario-based, gradient-scored, multiple-choice exam. The exam is included in the course fee.
The passing score is 70% or 28 out of 40 marks must be correct.
Certification can be valuable to teams because it:
- Demonstrates proven proficiency.
- Reflects professional and personal achievement.
- Offers greater recognition from peers.
- Builds self-esteem.
- Increases the likelihood of cooperation and buy-in.